Friday, July 20, 2012

Find you Fire, Sugar!

Recently, a good friend of mine recommended that I read the book, Saving CeCe Honeycutt, by Beth Hoffman.  In the book, one of the main characters, Oletta, gives twelve-year-old Cece this advice:  "Everyone needs to find the one thing that brings out her passion.  It's what we do and share with the world that matters.  I believe it's important that we leave our communities in better shape than we found them.  Far too many people die with a heart that's gone flat with indifference, and it surely must be a terrible way to go.  Life will offer us amazing opportunities, but we've got to be wide awake to recognize them.  If there's one thing I'd like most for you, it's that you'll find your calling in life.  That's where true happiness and purpose lies.  You've got to find your fire, sugar.  You'll never be fulfilled if you don't.  How do you know what your fire is?  Oh, you'll know. One day you'll do something, or get an idea that seems to pop up from nowhere.  And you'll feel a kind of stirring--like a warm flicker inside your heart.  When that happens, whatever you do, don't ignore it.  Open your mind and explore the idea.  Fan your flame.  And when you do, you'll have found it." 

The expression "finding a calling" seems to come straight from the Bible, which is full of stories of individuals who answered God's call on their lives.  I believe that a true calling will allow you to make a positive difference in the lives of others.  Having found my calling in teaching early on in my life, I've always felt fulfilled.  Although our society, for the most part, doesn't consider teaching to be a very prestigious career, and while I don't bring home a six figure salary, I like going to sleep at night knowing that I did something that mattered with my day....knowing that I've found my fire. 

So, here's my question... Have you found your fire?  If you have, what is it?  Will it make a difference in the lives of others?  If you haven't found it, what are you waiting for?! Go out and find your fire, sugar!

6 comments:

  1. I preach this every day! I hope everyone takes this to heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stirring deep inside our hearts, is what drives our passion! It's the most wonderful feeling in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily--I, like you, found my "calling" to teach early in life. I ALWAYS considered my job at school like a mission field. The end of April I left that job with I feel God's blessings as I felt the nudge for a change of assignments. I'm feeling drawn back full circle to my music roots. God knows I'm open for whatever the assignment is. I'm just patiently, faithfully waiting for His direction. Because of my passion for teaching, I still feel it will be somewhere in this assignment, although right now I'm being led to a completely opposite direction. It is a direction where I feel I'm just in a glass snow globe just watching the amazing ways God works. He does know the best plan--one for a future with hope. So--to answer your questions-- I have found my fire--teaching. I have evidence from students, parents, and teachers that it has made a difference. I'm just saying even when you have found it, there can be life changes that come about to keep one in tune with God and in practice with faith applications. Hold fast to God's unchanging Word. So let me end with a reminder of a song that I have heard you sing--"Take your candle and go light your world..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Music has always been your gift, and I have no doubt that you are using it for His glory! Love you and miss you! Keep singing!

      Delete
  4. Em,
    I have always considered it such a blessing to have found my fire at such an early age. I know many folks who are still searching and are just not happy. I still love what I do, and I hope it shows. In education, I believe that those who have truly found that fire, approach their jobs, not as something that must be done, but, in fact, as a part of their very being. We've talked about this many times.
    Great job on the blog, I can't wait to see what's ahead for this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on the blog, Emily. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

    Robin

    ReplyDelete